Saturday, July 15, 2017

Thistle Arcade Market Bag

Project info

Thistle Arcade Market Bag

Crochet

Bag → Market bag (slouchy)
Hooks & yarn

4.0 mm (G)

Gauge is not important

 Notes
Placement for a project using a few stitches from Betty Barnden’s The Crochet Bible.
I chose the 4mm rather than the usual 5mm because I wanted tighter stitching and I like the way the Mighty Stitch yarn kind of rolls up like a little tube as it is worked with the 4mm. It’s more prone to splitting with a 4mm, though, so I’m watching for that and reworking stitches as needed.
For some reason, I started working this as a round bottom bag, although I was actually thinking about an oval bag the entire time. Not one of my better days yesterday. Frogged it all out this morning and started again with an oval. Gotta love stress…
Pattern-wise, I just made this up as I went along. Basically, made a flat oval for the bottom, aiming for a multiple of 7 (the multiple advised for the Thistle Stitch). I worked the oval in hdc.
I’m working the body now. The bottom of the body is three rows of very simple dc in each stitch of the oval. Then I’m working rows of the Thistle Stitch. I’ll post the number of rows once I’m happy with them.

05-26-2017

OK. So, the body is three rows of dc, followed by 12 rows of thistle stitch. Top the thistle stitch section with a row of 1 dc in each st except for the top two stitches of the shell formation; use 1 hdc in each of those two stitches. This makes an even, straight edge. Top this row with a row of dc, reducing the stitches to a multiple of 6. Then do 6 rows of arcade stitches.
Will update as I progress…

05-27-2017

The arcade stitch lends itself nicely to mirroring itself into a nice handle simply by working all the way around the foundation chain, 4 rows on each side. It also makes a nice buttonhole row.

0 comments: