Saturday, July 15, 2017

Diamond Windowpanes Shawl


Project info
Diamond Windowpanes Shawl
Diamond Windowpanes Shawl by Kathleen Van Horn
Crochet
Mom
Hooks & yarn
4.0 mm (G)
gauge is not important
 Notes
A bit of a rough start on this one. Some days my mind just doesn’t “snap” and for some reason row 2 just didn’t look right to me. I sat it aside for the day and worked another project. The next morning, this shawl pattern didn’t look much clearer, but I’m biting the bullet anyway, realizing the pattern staggers each row to make the criss-cross pattern in the photo. We’ll see. The yarn is very fiddly, and combined with the fiddly nature of the scarf, I’m thinking this will be a slow one, but it’s not very big, so I ain’t skeerd. No, not much!

12-01-2016

Hum. Seven rows in, I can say that it’s not bad once you get the hang of the pattern. I find it easier to not reference the written pattern too much. It’s a well-written pattern, but I think I’ve done so much “free-styling” that the pattern is superfluous as far as my brain is concerned. Just one among the perils of Pauline lately. Oh, well. It’s quite pretty and would be much faster to work if it weren’t for the yarn. It’s so soft I have difficulty holding it; also I’m taking care to not have to frog too many errors as the yarn doesn’t rip well. Still the color, sheen and softness are just what this kind of pattern is written for. It’s gonna be epic. Or, at least, very pretty.

12-06-2016

Well, did the 100 rows, but I think it needs to be longer, so, I’m continuing on a bit more. After a quick blocking it is narrower than the 26” stated for the pattern, (19” more or less) but Mom and I are short, so that is fine. I’ve used almost 2.5 skeins for this project.

12-07-2016

All done! Mom loves it, says it’s just the right size, so all is good. I’m happy and would not hesitate to make the shawl again. Frankly, I’ve got it memorized now.

0 comments: