Friday, August 7, 2009

When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris


This one has been on everyone's read list with high marks. And, of course, there is that remarkable title, so finally, I ordered the book just to see what all the fuss is about. Thankfully, the fuss was right this time. This guy is funny as homemade hell on a stick. And I mean that in a good way. He's got a great eye for people and the weirdness that passes for normalcy. The frightening part is, I think I've met some of these people.

My favorites in the collection are:

  • "Buddy Can You Spare a Tie"
  • "Momento Mori"
  • "Ariel"
  • "Man in the Hat"
  • "The Smoking Section"

I think I would enjoy meeting Mr. Sedaris. I would enjoy meeting Hugh even more, I think. Pretty handy guy.

"That's Amore" had me wishing for someone of his caliber to be around to write MY obituary. Oh well. I can't die, anyway. My To Be Read stack is currently endless. Maybe later.

0 comments: