Thursday, August 13, 2009

Shirley Jackson: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

We Have Always Lived in the Castle has been on my TBR list since I was in my late teens, back when pterodactyl ruled the not-so-friendly skies. If you've not read it, I can only say: do so. It's not a mystery per-se but it sure feels like one. There's not much I can say about it which will not spoil it majorly other than the simple cover story: a family is wiped out by poison, leaving only two daughters, and an uncle who managed to survive the poisoning but only just. After saying that, it may sound strange to say it is a delightful book, but it is. Delightful and disturbing and certainly something that will linger in your head for a long, long time. I really like dear little Merricat when she decries the need to leave her home for "the simple need for books and food" -- in that order. I can so relate to that. WHALINC was worth the wait. I wish I'd gotten hold of it sooner.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hi Thea-I wonder if you'd like to contribute a review to my Forgotten Books project. You can find examples tomorrow at http://pattinase.blogspot.com

Best, Patti Abbott

Unknown said...

Sure! I've been noticing the Forgotten Books Friday posts on several blogs I read regularly (yours included). I'd love to participate. I write a blog and link back to your site, right? What constitutes a Forgotten Book? Not quite clear on that, I'm afraid.