Friday, June 18, 2010

Mapquesting the Garden Path


I have a little program on my Droid that is a combination of word, quote and joke of the day kind of thing. This morning's quote was from Oprah Winfrey: "The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be." I thought, yep, sounds good and moved on with my work. But the theology buff in me, just wouldn't let it be and so here I am getting a nit pick off my chest.

Bottom line, I agree with the quote, but with a BIG caveat: the Westminster Catechism declares that man's chief end (Ms. O's "whole point of being alive") is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him for ever. Being the staunch Protestant that I am, I agree with the Westminster Assembly of 1647's statement because it is fully backed by scripture: Ps 86:9; Isa 60:21; Rom 11:36; I Cor 6:20; 10:31; Rev 4:11, Ps 16:5-11; 144:15; Isa 12:2; Luke 2:10; Phil 4:4; Rev 21:3-4.

So, yes, Ms. Winfrey, I agree, as long as you agree that this completion entails glorifying and enjoying God forever.

Sorry to nit pick, and ::gasp!:: appear to disagree with the O. But it's just one of those little theological points that irritates me from time to time. I refuse swallow sound bites hook line and sinker any more. I've had a gut full of them lately and before I get lead down any more garden paths, I intend to Google and Mapquest those puppies. Yesterday I heard Bette Midler's song "From a Distance" again and had a similar reaction. Despite the pretty lyrics and all the violins, God ISN'T watching us from a distance. He's closer than our next breath. And considering what mankind looks like some days from ANY distance, I'm glad God is close at hand...

0 comments: