Monday, July 27, 2009

Once Were Cops - Ken Bruen

This is my first Ken Bruen. I enjoyed the style: stark noir, without all the description. A number of scenes packed a real emotional whallop and surprised me, considering I was reading about characters for who I had no empathy whatsoever. My take is that Shea, Rodriguez and Kebar were all serial killers; Rodriguez and Kebar operated within the cover of the job whereas Shea didn't bother. Rodriguez killed Nora just to mess with Shea's head. I think Rodriguez is without doubt the most dangerous and unstoppable of the three: a sociopath who blends. Anybody read Martha Stout's The Sociopath Next Door? I've worked with people like that. No, I'm not in law enforcement--I'm in the automotive industry. LOL! Despite popular fiction, not all sociopaths kill; some enjoy other methods of decimating people's lives and enjoy watching them grieve their losses. And when sociopaths realize they've been recognized it can get a little eerie...

The ending felt somehow oddly rushed, however. I can't explain why, but it just felt it was simply, suddenly, over.If it were film, I'd chalk it up to the studio planning a franchise. Still, recommended.

2 comments:

David Thompson said...

Hi! ONCE WERE COPS is great... also try the stand-alones AMERICAN SKIN and LONDON BOULEVARD, all of the Jack Taylor & Brant series, and one of my personal favorites, A TIME FOR SERENA-MAY (collected in A FIFTH OF BRUEN). And coming next month: TOWER (written with Reed Farrel Coleman)! Bruen is a true orginal. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out!